Dr Hyun Jin Preston Moon is the Founder and Chairman of the Global Peace Foundation (GPF). Inspired and guided by his leadership, GPF is building a global network of committed peace-builders, working in partnership with governments, business, academia, the volunteer sector and faith-based organizations based on common aspirations, principles and values.
Dr. Moon is actively engaged in numerous charitable and educational projects. As the founder of the international NGO Service for Peace, Dr. Moon has promoted innovative service learning strategies to heal divisions within the human family. With wide-ranging experience as a spiritual leader, social entrepreneur and philanthropist, he stresses the importance of a spiritual worldview, youth engagement, personal responsibility, and integrity of character as essential elements of effective peace-building. These principles and values have guided Dr. Moon’s entrepreneurial endeavors as he links business efforts with his nonprofit activities. GPF has offices in twelve countries in most of the continents of the world.
In Kenya, GPF has been advancing programs that promote sustainable peace and development in partnership with the government of Kenya, the United Nations, and other international and local agencies. In 2010, the Global Peace Convention, “Conflict Resolution, Peace and Development,” drew government and civil society leaders from 40 countries and brought global resources to Kenya’s efforts to transcend ethnic and tribal divisions. The convention won the backing of H.E Former President Mwai Kibaki, who served as patron of the assembly, and led a number of peace building and development initiatives through out the country, which include:
- Character and Creativity Initiative to build integrity and nurturing creativity in high school youth that position them for success in, life, higher education, career and the community.
- Moral and Innovative Leadership to nurture men and women who can instill ethical and responsible leadership among youth out of school, young professionals and the corporate sector.
- Rift Valley Peace Initiative to promote healing and reconciliation among different ethnic communities in Kenya.
- Realizing the Kenyan Dream, a program initiated by Global Peace Youth Corps Kenya, to empower young people to be able to realize their own dreams and concurrently realize the Kenyan Dream.
- International Exchange Program to bring together university students from different countries, notably Korea, Kenya and Uganda, to exchange ideas share culture and learn through community service and embrace beauty in diversity.
- East Africa Peace Service corps to promote youth voluntary service and regional volunteer exchange programs aimed at fostering regional integration and community centered sustainable development in East Africa and Africa in general. Rt. Hon. Raila Amollo Odinga launched the EAPSC in July 2012 at the United Nations Gigiri.
- Global Peace Women to raise women leaders through service, education and networking. It endevours to empower women socially and economically through improving economic opportunity and promoting a culture of sustainable peace and development.
Dr. Moon is an avid sportsman, known for his love of nature and the wilderness, as well as an accomplished horseman. He represented his country as a member of the Korean Equestrian Team in the Seoul Olympics (1988) and the Barcelona Olympics (1992). Dr. Moon and his wife, Jun Sook, have been married for 23 years and are the proud parents of nine children.